Navigation

Related Articles

Back to Latest Articles

My house is covered in sewage… my hair FELL OUT & I sleep in the garden


Sentiman io
My house is covered in sewage… my hair...

A MUM says her hair started falling out after her home flooded with sewage, forcing her and her eight-year-old son to live in a tent.

Former army paramedic Brooke Van Der Maat, from Australia, says they were left with diarrhoea and hair loss as their house was plagued with mould and traces of faeces throughout.

Brooke Van Der Maat says her hair started to fall out

8

Brooke Van Der Maat says her hair started to fall outCredit: Current Affair/ 9Now
Damage to the property after it overflowed with sewage

8

Damage to the property after it overflowed with sewageCredit: Nine
The sewage flood left the house full of mould and traces of faeces

8

The sewage flood left the house full of mould and traces of faecesCredit: Current Affair/ 9Now
The former army paramedic says she and her son were forced to sleep outside in a tent

8

The former army paramedic says she and her son were forced to sleep outside in a tentCredit: Nine

Brooke says she was not told the property in Queensland had been overflown with sewage just two months before she bought it.

Within weeks of moving in, Brooke says she and her young son Oscar started to suffer because of the reported contamination

“All my hair was falling out. It’s very bad for your mental health,” she told A Current Affair.

A report from a health and safety consultant revealed faecal mater was found in multiple areas of the house – including up the walls of the kitchen and bedrooms.

“I was told that it wasn’t safe to breathe the air inside the house,” the mum added.

“It’s in the air, it’s up all the frames, it’s under the tiles, it’s basically everything inside the house.”

Most read in The Sun

She says they were forced to move of the house after being told it was unsafe to live in and resorted to staying outside in a tent while bathing in a plastic tub.

After she signed to buy the house, Brooke says the previous tenant handed her photos which showed it had been swamped with sewage just two months prior – which the mum says she was not told about.

“I was told the tenant had left the tap on overnight and that’s why there was a cut out in the carpet in the rooms behind the bathroom but certainly nothing about sewerage,” she said.

But the estate agent which flogged the home to Brooke told A Current Affair: “Brooke was aware of the flooding issues prior to and after settlement.”

Brooke, who lives on her veteran’s pension, says although she has insurance on her home, her insurer won’t cover her for the damage as it happened before she bought it.

The previous owner had made a claim through his policy with CGU Insurance, who funded a laboratory report of the property.

All my hair was falling out. It’s very bad for your mental health

Brooke

And the company has agreed to pay Brooke 300AUD (£158) a week to help with costs to live somewhere else.

A spokesman for CGU Insurance told A Current Affair: “Once we became aware the property had been sold, we contacted Ms Van Der Maat to check on repairs at the site. 

“We have offered temporary accommodation to Ms Van der Maat on several occasions, which she has not yet accepted but this offer is still available.

“As an alternative to providing temporary accommodation and at her choice, we have provided Ms Van der Maat with a weekly payment for her rental accommodation since September 2021. 

“We will continue to provide these payments (or organise temporary accommodation) until repairs are finalised on the property.”

The company confirmed a site visit has been organised for this month to assess the property so repairs can be made.

The mum says she was forced to live in a tent with her son

8

The mum says she was forced to live in a tent with her sonCredit: Current Affair/ 9Now
Brooke says they resorted to washing in a plastic tub

8

Brooke says they resorted to washing in a plastic tubCredit: Current Affair/ 9Now
Brooke was told her house was unsafe to live in

8

Brooke was told her house was unsafe to live inCredit: Current Affair/ 9Now
Repairs are due to be made to the property

8

Repairs are due to be made to the propertyCredit: Current Affair/ 9Now

,

A MUM says her hair started falling out after her home flooded with sewage, forcing her and her eight-year-old son to live in a tent. Former army paramedic Brooke Van Der Maat, from Australia, says they were left with diarrhoea and hair loss as their house was plagued with mould and traces of faeces throughout. […]

,,

Related Articles

Brit businessman, 60, dies in 65ft fall from Bangkok motorway flyover after coronavirus decimated his business

A BRITISH businessman died after falling 65 feet from a Bangkok motorway flyover after the coronavirus pandemic reportedly decimated his business. The 60-year-old is understood to...

Posted on

Child abuse: Apple urged to roll out image-scanning tool swiftly

About this content Harriet Grant Fri 17 Sep 2021 15.00 BST Last modified on Fri 17 Sep 2021 15.01 BST Child protection experts from across the world have called on Apple to...

Posted on